Don’t forget to change your clocks Sunday morning. One hour ahead as the photo suggests. (Image courtesy of crossroadscards.com
The Cleveland Division of Fire will send a signal to local residents to make a potentially life-saving change.
On Saturday March 7 at 6:05 p.m. emergency sirens will sound for one minute in unison to urge residents to change their smoke alarm batteries when they change their clocks to daylight saving time this weekend.
The “Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery Campaign” is a national home fire safety program sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association and endorsed locally by the Cleveland Division of Fire and the American Red Cross.
Working smoke alarms cut the risk of injuries and fatalities related to residential fires in half according to the NFPA by providing an early warning signal creating critical extra seconds to escape. Although smoke alarms are in a large percentage of Cleveland homes, nearly one-third do not work because of worn or missing batteries.
In addition to urging residents to change smoke alarm batteries, the Cleveland Division of Fire’s Public Education Office recommends that every resident take a few minutes for additional fire safety measures. This includes checking the smoke alarms, practicing an emergency escape route (know two ways out of each room), and designating a common meeting place once outside of the home.
As snow falls in CLE, remember these tips to stay safe and warm.
As a fresh coating of winter white comes down, we thought we would share some tips to keep you warm, while trying to save some money at the same time. The cold weather prompts concern and Cleveland residents should be aware of the fact that the majority of electrical fires take place in the winter months.
Some of the contributing factors in these fires are electric blankets, space heaters, over exerting power strips and/or extension cords, and the use of counterfeit electrical products that have not met safety standards.
When using these items you should follow these safety tips:
- Always unplug your electric blanket when not in use.
- Keep all furniture, draperies, flammable materials, and other household objects at least three feet from your space heater.
- Plug portable space heaters directly into the outlet – DO NOT USE AN EXTENSION CORD!
- If an in-wall or baseboard heater is shut off at the circuit breaker, be sure to lock or tag the circuit breaker to prevent someone else from turning it back on.
- Because it is common for portable heaters and electric blankets to be recalled, make sure you check your brand and model to ensure that your particular heater or blanket has not been subject to any product recalls.
- Never ever purchase a counterfeit electrical product because they have not met any of the testing or safety standards and they can be extremely hazardous.
By following this safety advice, you should have a warm cozy and safe winter season. Additionally, be sure to check the batteries in your smoke detector as well as your carbon monoxide detector.