It’s Transformation Tuesday and this week we want to highlight The West Side Market. The West Side Market is a Cleveland landmark and has been in operation since 1840 and as such it is the oldest operating indoor/outdoor market in Cleveland.
Beginning as an open air marketplace on a tract of land donated by two Ohio City landowners, Josiah Barber and Richard Lord (both also served as mayor of Ohio City), at the corner of West 25th (Pearl) and Lorain it has undergone much growth and many improvements to arrive at its current form. The centerpiece of the market, the yellow brick markethouse with an interior concourse, was designed by the architects Benjamin Hubbel and W. Dominick Benes who also designed other famous buildings in Cleveland, such the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Wade Memorial Chapel in Lakeview Cemetery. The markethouse was dedicated in 1912 and with its 137 foot clock tower has stood as a Cleveland landmark for nearly a century. The last major renovation of the West Side Market took place in 2004 when the arcade portion of the market was enclosed and heated and major interior and architectural renovations were completed in the main building.
Today the market is home to over 100 vendors of great ethnic diversity. You can find not only fine meats and fresh vegetables, but also fresh seafood, baked goods, dairy and cheese products, and even fresh flowers. There are also booths that sell ready-to-eat foods, herbs, candy and nuts.
Open on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., the West Side Market is example of the resiliency of Cleveland, its businesses and its residents and Cleveland Public Power is proud to service as its electric service provider!