As we enter day three of power outages, and many of our residents may be using generators to battle the cold and lack of electricity here are a few tips on generator safety:
While a generator is a good option to provide an alternative source of power, it can also become a dangerous source of carbon monoxide and pose threats near high-water areas.
The Ohio Department of Health has the following tips and information on power generators and generator safety:
- Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. A single gas-powered generator can produce as much as 100 times more poisonous Carbon Monoxide gas than a car’s exhaust.
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage. Opening the garage door does not make it safe.
- Never use a generator in a flooded area.
- Operate generators outdoors as far away from your house as possible. The National Institute of Standards and Technology reports that even 15 feet away may still be dangerous because the CO fumes can enter the home through windows, doors or vents. Tests are still being conducted to find a safe operating distance.
- Never refuel a generator while it is running or hot.
- Install CO detectors inside the home near all the sleeping areas.
For additional information on generator safety and to view a video that demonstrates the dangers of carbon monoxide, visit: http://bit.ly/GeneratorSafetyOH.
Information is also available online at www.ema.ohio.gov